00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

markololohands just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Flash Cs3 Review/overview

3,847 Views | 35 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Flash Cs3 Review/overview 2007-05-13 14:27:48

Everyone (Unless you've been living under a rock) knows about Macromedia...Sorry, Adobe Flash CS3. Its been out for a month or so now, and a few people on the BBS have bought it. I just downloaded the trial (2 days or so ago) and i thought i'd give a quick review on it, top help other people decide if they want to frok out the $1600 for it :S.

1 - Adobe Integration

This is one of the most overplayed features of CS3. Basically, it lets you import .psd files bit by bit, layer by layer, or frame by frame. This is somewhat helpful, and i can imagine it will be good for animators, but this was still do-able in Flash 8 by simply exporting to seperate .psd files. All it does is save 10 minutes.

Score : **/***** - Handy, but north the money.

2 - Actionscript 3.0

This is a more helpful aspect for most people. AS3 is now (mostly) a function based, inforced strict data typing, fast language. This means, you have to call each variable 'var a:type' and instead of saying 'onEnterFrame = function' you say 'addEventListener(Event, Function);'.

This does two things. Firstly, it increases the amount of code you have to type; and secondly, it makes the .swf run almost 10X faster. This can open up a whole lot of possibilities for game designers and programmers. It will also be a lot more at home for C#/C++ users.

Score : ****/*****

3 - Layout

This is not the most helpful of things, but its definitely a very nice looking thing. The new 'CS3' style layout is applied to all of Adobes new products, and it looks very sleek in flash (SEE PICS).

The new system is also a lot more customizable, with expanding and contracting windows and a new sub window setting (SEE PIC).

Score : ***/*****

4 - Video Importing

I haven't used this feature much so far, but its quite a nice one. Its pretty simple, the new video importer just give you more options. You can crop and cut video, set markers at times and give it one of 100s of .flv skins.

However, it just isn't much use to many people, and still, not a feature worth almost $2000.

Score : ***/*****

5 - Debugger

This is the last feature i'll review, and yes, its another programming one. I tried to find another 'art' based one, but there just aren't many. Anyway, alongside AS3 comes this new debugger. Unlike in Flash 8, this window is separate from the output window (Compile Errors Window), and it gives a lot better report of the problem.

It tells you where the problem is, what it is and the line number. It even gives the option to go to the exact line that the problem is on so you can quickly sort it out. Its pretty nifty if you are getting into AS3, but not as good with AS2.

Score : ****/*****

Other Features

Heres another few (very few) features that are in CS3.

[#] Collapse Code - This lets you collapse code between two points (eg a function) so the code is easily organized.

[#] Pen Tool - The Pen tool is a lot better in CS3. You can alter the shapes better and there are a lot more editable options. Very handy for vector art.

[#] Customizable Shapes - Instead of having separate buttons for squares, ellipsis and other shapes, the are all compressed into one button that can be changed. They are also editable with different node points. This is, again, good for vector art.

That's about it really, not much for over 2 years production :(. If you want to try it out though, follow the link at the bottom of the post. I hope the review helped a few people decide if they want Adobes new 'and improoved' Flash CS3.

Links

[#] - Free 30 Day Trial

[#] - AS3: Main
[#] - Flashwiki
[#] - Another review

If you have anything you want me to add, or anything you want me to try, just ask ;)

BBS Signature

Response to Flash Cs3 Review/overview 2007-05-13 14:40:54

Great review!

I think I will be waiting until the next installment before I purchase this software...it seems also completely code oriented. You didn't mention, however the speed of filters now. If I have heard correctly, Flash handles filter use and overuse much better now. Have you noticed a difference?

BBS Signature

Response to Flash Cs3 Review/overview 2007-05-13 16:44:57

At 5/13/07 02:40 PM, Senti wrote: I think I will be waiting until the next installment before I purchase this software...it seems also completely code oriented. You didn't mention, however the speed of filters now. If I have heard correctly, Flash handles filter use and overuse much better now. Have you noticed a difference?

Thanks :).I will try that out tomorrow, i'm guessing that filters will still lag, but maybe coded ones will be better thanks to AS3?

More replies please, this took me a while :P.

BBS Signature

Response to Flash Cs3 Review/overview 2007-05-13 16:51:30

Nice review, it really covers most of the changes in cs3.
I think it's not a good package for animators who have flash 8, just buy it if you want to use filters without all the lag. Now, with as3 i hope i can learn something.
This review is very helpful for the people who want to buy cs3, so they can decide if the new features are worth it or not.

Gamertag: enquencle

Looking for people who plays Fifa 08 :(

BBS Signature

Response to Flash Cs3 Review/overview 2007-05-13 17:26:50

At 5/13/07 04:51 PM, enquencle wrote: This review is very helpful for the people who want to buy cs3, so they can decide if the new features are worth it or not.

Thanks, i'll try out the filters soon and post again :).

More comments >:U.

BBS Signature

Response to Flash Cs3 Review/overview 2007-05-13 17:29:57

video importing was in flash 8 too

, Euromaster

Response to Flash Cs3 Review/overview 2007-05-13 17:30:44

flash 9 didn't cost $1600 for me. I payed $500 for an upgrade and got like 10 other programs with it.

Adobe CS3 Web Premium FTW

Although AS3 is a HUGE upgrade. Seriously.

Response to Flash Cs3 Review/overview 2007-05-13 17:34:01

At 5/13/07 05:30 PM, Glaiel-Gamer wrote: flash 9 didn't cost $1600 for me. I payed $500 for an upgrade and got like 10 other programs with it.

I was just going off the cost i'd been told :(. Sorry, its $1600 for the whole CS3 suite and $200 to upgrade from an older flash.

At 5/13/07 05:29 PM, Euromaster wrote: video importing was in flash 8 too

Yeah, but there are more features in CS3. Just a few :P.

BBS Signature

Response to Flash Cs3 Review/overview 2007-05-13 17:47:23

i find the layout to be really annoying. it's sluggish and seems to be more about eye candy than functionality.

the actionscript window is the most annoying. when i have it in the same panel as "properties" and whatnot, it toggles between non-existent and fully stretched out when i press F9. blagh.

also, the new logo is shit. "Fl"? what will the next one be? "Flas"? i want that iconic "F" back.

snyggys

Response to Flash Cs3 Review/overview 2007-05-13 17:49:48

At 5/13/07 05:47 PM, Rammer wrote: i find the layout to be really annoying. it's sluggish and seems to be more about eye candy than functionality.

the actionscript window is the most annoying. when i have it in the same panel as "properties" and whatnot, it toggles between non-existent and fully stretched out when i press F9. blagh.

also, the new logo is shit. "Fl"? what will the next one be? "Flas"? i want that iconic "F" back.

agh! my hand is so jumpy...

the actions window also covers up the exported movie window...yet another nuisance brought unto me by adobe. i can't seem to view the exported movie in full-view, either, as the flash cs3 layout seems to want to stay on top of it.

snyggys

Response to Flash Cs3 Review/overview 2007-05-13 18:05:24

I'd like to know about the copy motion and AS conversion of motion tweens. Are they any good?

Response to Flash Cs3 Review/overview 2007-05-13 18:08:50

i was wondering if it is better at handling file size and if it lags less on larger movies?

I was making my movie and the file size was so big it lagged a lot!! i was hoping that it would change on cs3

Response to Flash Cs3 Review/overview 2007-05-13 21:58:32

Great Review. It helped me alot.

Response to Flash Cs3 Review/overview 2007-05-13 22:40:53

for animation it should be ranked one out of five stars... it barely does anything better... the one star is for better performance of filters... everything else is shit.. the pen tool is still not as powerful as illustrators... they have 'streamlined' tools from the toolbar and put em elsewhere which makes it even more inconvenient.. like the rounded box radius .. its no longer on the toolbar where its easy to access.. now its all the way on the properties panel on the bottom where its already jam packed with twenty billion tabs it hides down there....

I'll probably upgrade for the sole purpose of better performance and because its only a couple hundred dollars but this version is absolute shit. they should have called it Flash AS3 so that nobody except actionscripters bought it.

None

BBS Signature

Response to Flash Cs3 Review/overview 2007-05-13 23:30:26

This was very helpful! The collapse code is pretty cool, like in dreamweaver. I will buy it eventually. Good job, mate.

Response to Flash Cs3 Review/overview 2007-05-14 00:20:10

Personally, I loathe the layout. It's gray. It's bright.

The collapsible code is DEFINITELY welcome, makes coding much more manageable. Just a question: Does AS3 have code completion for variables? AS2 didn't, and it annoys me because I have to search through the whole thing to make sure I got the name right.

Response to Flash Cs3 Review/overview 2007-05-14 01:29:45

WOWZA! I love the new Flash. I just downloaded the trial and things are looking pretty cool animation-friendly wise and layout wise. I haven't really looked into AS3, but im sure it's not THAT bad.

I wish I had CS3 :(

Response to Flash Cs3 Review/overview 2007-05-14 02:32:57

As far as I can tell (By messing around with it)...

1. The most annoying change is the fact that the bar that is supposed to be at the top of the timeline (Scene, Workspace, Zoom percentage...~) is now at the bottom of the time line.

2. Yes the filters lag ALOT less, useful if you're a filter whore~ (About 10% of what they did in Flash 8, the only time it should lag if you're alpha-ing and filtering an object at the same time)

3. The rest of the programs that come in the whole CS3 package (Dreamweaver, Photoshop~) Aren't that different compared to their last versions, unless I completely missed something.

BBS Signature

Response to Flash Cs3 Review/overview 2007-05-14 03:12:17

At 5/14/07 02:32 AM, Kuoke wrote: 1. The most annoying change is the fact that the bar that is supposed to be at the top of the timeline (Scene, Workspace, Zoom percentage...~) is now at the bottom of the time line.

They shouldn't of changed it to the top with MX 2004 in the first place.

Response to Flash Cs3 Review/overview 2007-05-14 03:20:20

downlaoding the trial version now but im happy with flash 8 and i dont liek the diea of AS3 cause im a noob at scripting and i dont wnana learn all the basicas again. doesnt sound liek its worth 1700 when flash 8 was only 700

Response to Flash Cs3 Review/overview 2007-05-14 03:55:06

Great review, I appreciate the time you put into it :)

But I don't like Flash CS3. At all. I downloaded the trial 2 days ago and I found that apart from the ''importing .psd'' option, I really found no difference. I'm an animator, and the photoshop integration is great, but I don't think I should spend $1600 on it. I wish that Adobe put a more ''3D'' element on animation in it ): I guess I'll have to wait and see what Flash 10 is like :/

Response to Flash Cs3 Review/overview 2007-05-14 04:35:56

just done downloading the trial, so i guess i'll try it, not gonna buy it tho it's a little too expensive for a student.

Response to Flash Cs3 Review/overview 2007-05-14 06:05:15

WTF are you kids talking about, the GUI is shiney thats reason enough to make the $2000 switch! Though seriously, AS3.0 is nearly worth it, x10 speed people. I remember a program Delta once wrote it made like 200 particles a second or somthing, on AS2.0 it lagged the shit out of my AMD 4200 x2's and nVidia 7900 512mb gt, but in AS3.0 it was smooth as some nice boobies.

Response to Flash Cs3 Review/overview 2007-05-14 07:25:09

Repost:
Does AS3 have code completion for variables?

Response to Flash Cs3 Review/overview 2007-05-14 08:21:47

What are you talking about? AS3.0 has variables. Hell the variables are one of the fewish things that didn't change.

Response to Flash Cs3 Review/overview 2007-05-14 12:50:26

TESTS BELOW

Test 1 - Autocomplete(Pic1)

At 5/14/07 07:25 AM, WolfAkela wrote: Repost:
Does AS3 have code completion for variables?

If your thinking of what i am (eg, when you open a bracket it gives coding options), then it has nothing to do with the language. Anywhoo, CS3 does do this, so when you type 'var a: ' it will give you a list of possible data types. See Picture 1.

Test 2 - Manual/AS3 Tweens (.swf 1+2)

At 5/13/07 06:05 PM, PaperBagMask wrote: I'd like to know about the copy motion and AS conversion of motion tweens. Are they any good?

They are actually very good. A you can see in the examples, they are pretty much identical, with all filters colour changes, size changes and easing in tact. Could be quite handy :). Sorry i left that out.

Test 3 - Filters(.swf 3)

At 5/14/07 02:15 AM, ShortMonkey wrote: Depredation, can you try adding 3 objects on the screen, each with at least two filters being applied and being tweened to change at the exact same time and see if it laggs, if it doesn't please upload it at imageshack and post the link.

Just see the test. They do happen to run a lot faster which'll be great for all you filter whores :P. I'll do a AS3 Test soon to see if the filters (dynamic) lag. If you have it, and you have some heavy filter games, republish them in Flash CS3 and it will run almost 5x faster.

Test 4 - Filesize (Pic 2)

As you can guess, two .flas are exactly the same size in both Flash 8 and Flash CS3. However, the .swf from CS3 in Pic 2 is larger than the .swf From flash 8. This is probably due to AS3, not a enourmous differnce, but noticable.

Files
[#] - Swf 1 - Manual Tween - Link
[#] - Swf 2 - AS3 Tween(Using 'Copy Motions as AS3') - Link
[#]- Swf 3 - Filter test (3 Mcs ech with 2 varied filters) - Link

Sorry for the wait, i've been asleep :S.

BBS Signature

Response to Flash Cs3 Review/overview 2007-05-14 13:28:25

Wow, those filters are running really smooth,even when my comp is being a bitch.
The increase in the swf is bigger in large files? cuz that's a really small file, maybe with an entire movie or game it blows the size up.

Gamertag: enquencle

Looking for people who plays Fifa 08 :(

BBS Signature

Response to Flash Cs3 Review/overview 2007-05-14 13:30:57

He's right, try it with a larger movie.

Response to Flash Cs3 Review/overview 2007-05-14 17:11:19

At 5/14/07 01:30 PM, RyanPridgeon wrote: He's right, try it with a larger movie.

I will tomorrow :). I'd really appreciate some more responses or questions :P.

BBS Signature

Response to Flash Cs3 Review/overview 2007-05-14 17:30:06

Yeah, I have it. Its good. But I didn't have Flash 8 so cant compare :(

BBS Signature