00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

FylypFimpossible just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

MORE AND MORE!!!

13,486 Views | 88 Replies
Respond to this Topic

MORE AND MORE!!! 2002-10-04 12:35:19

Ok... We haven't been getting swarmed with complaints about some of the recent changes, so I'm feeling empowered to keep on messing around. :)

I have temporarily removed the Pico voting animation - so when you vote on movies, you will get the old text-based version. I tested it out and it seemed to get the job done fine.

I don't intend to permanently remove the Pico animation, but I want to see how site performance is changed by the switch. There was an issue where the Pico animation did not cache in browsers. This sucked for 56k users, but also sucked for us because every time someone voted, it was re-downloading a 120k file that could have been cached in their browser.

The reason why it didn't cache was because the variables were passed to the .swf file directly in the html code - making the file name a random assortment of variables every time, and not recognizable by the cache.

There is a way to work around this using SWLiveConnect to import the variables into Flash - so the filename can remain consistent. I tried this many months ago, but users were getting errors. It turns out that Macintosh IE users can't use this function.

Sooo... The ultimate goal is to have both versions. MacIE users will get the text version, as well as anyone who chooses the text version in their prefs. Everyone else will get the Pico animation, which will theoretically cache once in their browser and stay there.

In the meantime - what does everyone think of the text page? Do you like it better anyway? Should we bother to bring back the Pico animation? It sure made voting fun - right? Right?!

AND ONE MORE THING... I'm not 100% sure what will happen when you BLAM a movie on this old version of the code. If anyone blams a movie, let me know if everything works ok - there should be a fun oldskool blam animation that pops up if everything still works.

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to MORE AND MORE!!! 2002-10-04 12:41:09

hehe AH well. I just voted on something and then the voting page came up without the pico animation and i thought eh?! and then go back to homepage and Tadda! Tom makes a post sayings hes removed it, hehe.
Why arnt small flash files aload in the BBS as a image like .gif or .jpeg?

Response to MORE AND MORE!!! 2002-10-04 12:43:45

Well the old style voting system is alot faster. Although if you keep it like this i sure will miss the break dancing pico. :)

Response to MORE AND MORE!!! 2002-10-04 12:59:48

AND ONE MORE THING... I'm not 100% sure what will happen when you BLAM a movie on this old version of the code. If anyone blams a movie, let me know if everything works ok - there should be a fun oldskool blam animation that pops up if everything still works.

I just blamed an animation.. and yes its the classic blam system. First time i ever blammed anything and saw the old video. Its cool.. just as good as the Pico one. :)

Response to MORE AND MORE!!! 2002-10-04 13:00:00

Hope you come to a point where you are happy with ng, no problems here though..

Response to MORE AND MORE!!! 2002-10-04 13:13:26

At 10/4/02 12:35 PM, TomFulp wrote: Ok... We haven't been getting swarmed with complaints about some of the recent changes, so I'm feeling empowered to keep on messing around. :)

I have temporarily removed the Pico voting animation - so when you vote on movies, you will get the old text-based version. I tested it out and it seemed to get the job done fine.

I don't intend to permanently remove the Pico animation, but I want to see how site performance is changed by the switch. There was an issue where the Pico animation did not cache in browsers. This sucked for 56k users, but also sucked for us because every time someone voted, it was re-downloading a 120k file that could have been cached in their browser.

The reason why it didn't cache was because the variables were passed to the .swf file directly in the html code - making the file name a random assortment of variables every time, and not recognizable by the cache.

There is a way to work around this using SWLiveConnect to import the variables into Flash - so the filename can remain consistent. I tried this many months ago, but users were getting errors. It turns out that Macintosh IE users can't use this function.

Sooo... The ultimate goal is to have both versions. MacIE users will get the text version, as well as anyone who chooses the text version in their prefs. Everyone else will get the Pico animation, which will theoretically cache once in their browser and stay there.

In the meantime - what does everyone think of the text page? Do you like it better anyway? Should we bother to bring back the Pico animation? It sure made voting fun - right? Right?!

I myself am very happy with the old text based version(because I have a 56k),it loads fast and has a form of nostigola, but if you can get PICO vote movie to load once and only once, I'll be fine.

As for the past few weeks, I have been voting, and it sends me back to no votes when I'm voting on my fifth movie, was that part of the "5 min, clear votes" thing?
Well, I guess it's getting better now. Good work.

Response to MORE AND MORE!!! 2002-10-04 13:50:46

At 10/4/02 01:13 PM, TESM wrote:
As for the past few weeks, I have been voting, and it sends me back to no votes when I'm voting on my fifth movie, was that part of the "5 min, clear votes" thing?

The system still requires you to log in every 20 minutes. We will be switching back to cookies, so things will work like they used to.

Follow me on Twitter! TWITTER

Be my Facebook friend! FACEBOOK

Google+ Profile

BBS Signature

Response to MORE AND MORE!!! 2002-10-04 13:55:09

At 10/4/02 01:50 PM, WadeFulp wrote:
At 10/4/02 01:13 PM, TESM wrote:
The system still requires you to log in every 20 minutes. We will be switching back to cookies, so things will work like they used to.

That would be great. It is nice to clear all my votes in 20 minutes again!

life has to happen sometimes, it just happing to me all over the place

Response to MORE AND MORE!!! 2002-10-04 14:07:38

The animation was cool but unnecessary. I like it a lot more when its faster.

Response to MORE AND MORE!!! 2002-10-04 14:24:18

im a clown pleeez adopt me or ill kill you all!!!!bwhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

dont mock me fool !!!

Response to MORE AND MORE!!! 2002-10-04 14:27:05

At 10/4/02 12:35 PM, TomFulp wrote: AND ONE MORE THING... I'm not 100% sure what will happen when you BLAM a movie on this old version of the code. If anyone blams a movie, let me know if everything works ok - there should be a fun oldskool blam animation that pops up if everything still works.

I had a blam club member test it out it gave them credit for a blam. So that part does work fine. I like the test version it help moves things faster along for everyone.

Response to MORE AND MORE!!! 2002-10-04 14:33:06

I had a good old Blam and enjoyed seeing the old blam swf....... heh..... il ike it better this way, alot faster.. unless you can get the pico swf to cache....

i'm a 56k user and have found the old voting system to be easier for me, but fix the goddam log in thing.

Response to MORE AND MORE!!! 2002-10-04 14:44:06

At 10/4/02 02:27 PM, ramagi wrote:
At 10/4/02 12:35 PM, TomFulp wrote: AND ONE MORE THING... I'm not 100% sure what will happen when you BLAM a movie on this old version of the code. If anyone blams a movie, let me know if everything works ok - there should be a fun oldskool blam animation that pops up if everything still works.
I had a blam club member test it out it gave them credit for a blam. So that part does work fine. I like the test version it help moves things faster along for everyone.

Yeah, I just got a blam too and everything went ok

The point is... Don't lose your dinosaur.

BBS Signature

Response to MORE AND MORE!!! 2002-10-04 15:02:51

I guess because I'm on a cable modem, there is no difference in speed. I like the idea of being able to choose, though.
One thing: I don't like it how I get logged out when I don't do anything for a certain amount of time. For example, one time I was one vote away from depositing, and then I played Portal Fighter 2 for the first time... I got logged out and lost the experience.

Response to MORE AND MORE!!! 2002-10-04 15:27:16

I much prefer the text version to the animation, I had to wait for a while for it to load and thats annoying even though the animation is pretty cool

Response to MORE AND MORE!!! 2002-10-04 15:33:49

At 10/4/02 12:35 PM, TomFulp wrote: Ok... We haven't been getting swarmed with complaints about some of the recent changes, so I'm feeling empowered to keep on messing around. :)

hey Tom I love the Pico voting it made it way more fun for me

Response to MORE AND MORE!!! 2002-10-04 17:09:48

The text page is really bland. I miss the pico animation, it isn't the same without it. Try to get it back up soon! (less than a month)

Response to MORE AND MORE!!! 2002-10-04 17:26:22

This old stuff is making the site run slower. I liked the way it way oct 13th yesterday it ran perfectly fine then. Also your pico animation should not only come back but be upgraded to the new pico. Pico should Sing and stuff when you Blam a movie.

Response to MORE AND MORE!!! 2002-10-04 17:52:37

THERES STILL SOMETHING WONG WITH MY PROFILE GOD DAMMIT. IT KEEPS LOGGING OFF WHILE IM TRYING TO VOTE. I THINK THERES STILL SOMETHING WRONG WITH THE LOGGING ON SITUATION!

Response to MORE AND MORE!!! 2002-10-04 18:57:00

I like the text voting thing better, the pico animation takes too long for modem users to download. Especially modem users in the country, where our modems dont connect at a full 56k. This is why I havent gained any levels, because it just takes too long to do with the animation.

Response to MORE AND MORE!!! 2002-10-04 20:13:54

hi, im from england and i have 56k modem and it sux. So it would be better for me and the rest of england if Pico didnt come back. Im not being mean because the Pico animations are awesome and everyone love PICO. But i always have trouble with NG, so TOM think of the little guy with the shit connection. Please, and joxa says hi.

Response to MORE AND MORE!!! 2002-10-04 20:35:09

Keep up the good work....but if you fail and we cant have pico, im sorry, youll just have to burn in hell with me. ;)

Response to MORE AND MORE!!! 2002-10-04 22:13:08

Hey tom, I have a mac (6 of 'em!), and I usually use IE when i'm going on NG.... I had no problems.... Oh well, the old system works too

Response to MORE AND MORE!!! 2002-10-04 22:22:26

Ahh, I was worried for a bit!

It obvoiusly took you an ass-load of work to make that animation, since everything is different for movies/games, users, voting score, etc.!

I wonder what this old BLAM cinema will look like?

Response to MORE AND MORE!!! 2002-10-04 23:25:34

Shit, Tom, PLEAZ!! Revive da Pico Animation, newgrounds aint da same without him!!!

LONG LIVE PICO!!!

Response to MORE AND MORE!!! 2002-10-04 23:33:26

FUCK WUT I SAID EARLIER, I'm having a pain in da ass time depositing my GOLD!!!

Response to MORE AND MORE!!! 2002-10-04 23:40:07

like thae old system way better than the first and the old BLAM animation is better than the new one keep the old one, no one cause it is better but it runs faster too.

Response to MORE AND MORE!!! 2002-10-04 23:46:28

At 10/4/02 11:40 PM, Pico169 wrote: like thae old system way better than the first and the old BLAM animation is better than the new one keep the old one, no one cause it is better but it runs faster too.

oops i fucked up let me correct myself "***I*** like ***the**** old system way better than the ***new one*** and the old BLAM animation is better than the new one keep the old one, ***not only because*** it is better but it runs faster too.
that sound a little bit better

Response to MORE AND MORE!!! 2002-10-04 23:49:13

i fucked up again but you get the point... i guess

Response to MORE AND MORE!!! 2002-10-05 01:07:42

the site still is as slow as fuck!
ive got a good comp + a really good cable connection but...when it comes to voting ...it takes friggen days (no joke) i`m glad to see that this site has gained in popularity but, i think im getting pretty damn sick of waiting 10 friggen mins for a 127k flash to load..
if it does at all!
i hope all this will pass soon... cause i really miss watching all them great flash movies!
a tired ,tired fan!