00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Jmurr12 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Letter from Congress

17,455 Views | 140 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Letter from Congress 2002-05-01 16:59:33

As the KABOOM controversy continues to escalate, I have received this letter from Congresswoman Nita M. Lowey (New York).

---

Dear Mr. Fulp:

I am writing to urge you to remove the game KABOOM!, The Suicide Bombing Game, from your web site immediately. This distasteful and offensive game makes light of the suffering of thousands of Americans, Israelis, and others who have been victimized by suicide terrorism.

KABOOM! trivializes the heinous act of killing and maiming innocent people. Even as our men and women in uniform continue to fight against terrorism in many places around the world, this program makes a game of terrorism in the global community, encouraging players to consider suicide bombing a recreational sport, complete with objectives and scores. Suicide terrorism has resulted in tragedy for hundreds of thousands of people in Israel and the United States who have lost loved ones. Your game is a sign of deep disrespect for the brave men and women who died on September 11th, and a symbol of contempt for the dedicated workers who continue to toil at Ground Zero in lower Manhattan, hoping to recover the remains of victims.

I urge you not to prolong the pain of those who have been victimized by suicide terrorism. In the spirit of decency, I hope you will remove KABOOM! from Newgrounds.com immediately.

Sincerely,

Nita M. Lowey
Member of Congress
---

I respect Nita's right to express her opinion on this issue. The mere fact that she sent me an email proves that she is more astute and involved than most members of Congress.

However, I do not intend to remove KABOOM. The subject matter may be uncomfortable, but it is a commentary on current events and does not undermine the impact of what has happened. Nor does it promote hate. Newgrounds has removed content in the past because it was found hateful, but this game is too tongue-in-cheek to warrant that response.

Newgrounds has always protected the freedom to make extreme games, and we will continue to do so in this case.

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Letter from Congress 2002-05-01 17:11:03

Wow all I can say is NG always get publicity,even here in UK in net magazine about club-a-seal , pico ect.

Well I just played KABOOM! and I think its a good commentary on current events.
Its good to see government officials looking to the internet

Response to Letter from Congress 2002-05-01 17:13:14

Dear Nita M. Lowey,

From all of us red blooded Americans that frequent Newgrounds, and from those of us that have given some blood sweat and tears to the military, I would like to present you with A BIG OL FUCKING FOOT IN YOUR ASS.
Get a fucking life you empty headed suit. The only goddamn reason she has chosen to voice on this matter is because its good press. Nothing more. How lovely that you are a member of congress, guess what babe, you STILL fucking work for me. Now stop wasting my time and money as a taxpayer and worry about some worth while issues.

A video game, a goddamn video game is what you are so offended by. Honestly, if your skin is THAT thin I dont feel comfortable with you having any say in how my government works. You think for one second that this makes you look like a "concerned" American, HA!! You're making an ass of yourself. How is this going to go on your resume? "OH, and on May 1st 2002 I single-handedly lead the crusade against a simple flash game that I thought the rest of America would want taken down." Yeah...thats sweet. Get off you fucking soapbox and listen to America. It would amaze you what you would hear once you shut you fucking hole.

Peace

Response to Letter from Congress 2002-05-01 17:14:23

I'm curious to know how Ms. Lowley discovered KABOOM.

Response to Letter from Congress 2002-05-01 17:20:47

At 5/1/02 04:59 PM, TomFulp wrote: As the KABOOM controversy continues to escalate, I have received this letter from Congresswoman Nita M. Lowey (New York).

---

Dear Mr. Fulp:

I am writing to urge you to remove the game KABOOM!, The Suicide Bombing Game, from your web site immediately. This distasteful and offensive game makes light of the suffering of thousands of Americans, Israelis, and others who have been victimized by suicide terrorism.

KABOOM! trivializes the heinous act of killing and maiming innocent people. Even as our men and women in uniform continue to fight against terrorism in many places around the world, this program makes a game of terrorism in the global community, encouraging players to consider suicide bombing a recreational sport, complete with objectives and scores. Suicide terrorism has resulted in tragedy for hundreds of thousands of people in Israel and the United States who have lost loved ones. Your game is a sign of deep disrespect for the brave men and women who died on September 11th, and a symbol of contempt for the dedicated workers who continue to toil at Ground Zero in lower Manhattan, hoping to recover the remains of victims.

I urge you not to prolong the pain of those who have been victimized by suicide terrorism. In the spirit of decency, I hope you will remove KABOOM! from Newgrounds.com immediately.

Sincerely,

Nita M. Lowey
Member of Congress
---

I respect Nita's right to express her opinion on this issue. The mere fact that she sent me an email proves that she is more astute and involved than most members of Congress.

However, I do not intend to remove KABOOM. The subject matter may be uncomfortable, but it is a commentary on current events and does not undermine the impact of what has happened. Nor does it promote hate. Newgrounds has removed content in the past because it was found hateful, but this game is too tongue-in-cheek to warrant that response.

Newgrounds has always protected the freedom to make extreme games, and we will continue to do so in this case.

Yeah you made the right decision standing up, you have to conintue to do so, but I thought wade said you were on a train

Response to Letter from Congress 2002-05-01 17:22:42

Tom, I think if you want to keep KABOOM! on Newgrounds, you can. It's up to you, it's your site, and nobody can stop you. I agree with JackFrost totally, the site is about freedom of expression. I don't see how people can be 'encouraged' to start suicide bombing just because they play that game. Hats off to the NG crew!

-Sam

Response to Letter from Congress 2002-05-01 17:26:49

She is MAKING it into something it is not! It is just a game! What about WWII movies? Are those any more offensive to Germans or Japaneese or whoever the director is portraying as the enemy? What about holocaust or Veitnam Movies? Those are equal to this fucking game in that they disrespect and offend people! Are those banned? NO! She just wants to please the people, well I am not pleased! Fuck it, if it is not getting removed then it's not that big a deal.

I am not gonna read any responses to this post so don't bother sayin anything about it, cuz I aint gonna read it and it would really pointless to point insults at me.

Response to Letter from Congress 2002-05-01 17:27:05

Go Tom. I remember when people tried to take away assasin. And i personally dont think its that offensive.

Response to Letter from Congress 2002-05-01 17:31:10

Well Tom obviosly you gave in by taking it off the main front page. Tom cowaring to a senator? I think your getting soft in your old age.

Response to Letter from Congress 2002-05-01 17:32:09

of course it should stay up. (honestly if i were you i'd put it back on the front page to, but that's just me) I like how people want to get rid of imaginary cartoon violence instead of real violence. now THAT'S smart

Response to Letter from Congress 2002-05-01 17:35:13

get... a... sense... of... HUMOUR!!!

Response to Letter from Congress 2002-05-01 17:51:53

At 5/1/02 05:31 PM, PrinceNova wrote: Well Tom obviosly you gave in by taking it off the main front page. Tom cowaring to a senator? I think your getting soft in your old age.

the featured movies on the front page change often and tom shouldn't make an exception just to stick it into the critics' collective face.

Response to Letter from Congress 2002-05-01 18:17:21

"Even as our men and women in uniform continue to fight against terrorism in many places around the world, this program makes a game of terrorism in the global community, encouraging players to consider suicide bombing a recreational sport, complete with objectives and scores"

This is a pretty silly thing to say, especially for a congressman/woman. Like I'm going to go strap dynamite to my chest and blow up a building because I played a game that had it in it. This irrational, yet oddly congressional standpoint on video game violence = real violence is stupid to the point of insulting.

Letter from Congress

Response to Letter from Congress 2002-05-01 18:20:58

Tom Fulp is a terroist. It's so obvious. Re-arrange the letters in his name and it spells "Mulp Fop", which is Isralie for "Die Americans, Die!"

So you see my point. John is a funny guy. He dumped his girlfriend cause she was a fatty fat fat fat. KABOOM!!!!!!

Response to Letter from Congress 2002-05-01 18:34:13

At 5/1/02 05:13 PM, Comorat wrote: Dear Nita M. Lowey,

From all of us red blooded Americans that frequent Newgrounds, and from those of us that have given some blood sweat and tears to the military, I would like to present you with A BIG OL FUCKING FOOT IN YOUR ASS.
Get a fucking life you empty headed suit. The only goddamn reason she has chosen to voice on this matter is because its good press. Nothing more. How lovely that you are a member of congress, guess what babe, you STILL fucking work for me. Now stop wasting my time and money as a taxpayer and worry about some worth while issues.

A video game, a goddamn video game is what you are so offended by. Honestly, if your skin is THAT thin I dont feel comfortable with you having any say in how my government works. You think for one second that this makes you look like a "concerned" American, HA!! You're making an ass of yourself. How is this going to go on your resume? "OH, and on May 1st 2002 I single-handedly lead the crusade against a simple flash game that I thought the rest of America would want taken down." Yeah...thats sweet. Get off you fucking soapbox and listen to America. It would amaze you what you would hear once you shut you fucking hole.

Peace

I do belive that making a big deal out of a game, regardless of its content and wether or not it will offend somebody, is stupid and pointless. Because frankly, if we were only able to do things that would not offend anyone, we would have to cease all creative activity. I also belive that insulting someone just because of what they belive is even worse. Nita has every right to say what she wants on any issue and we have every right to ignore her.

Response to Letter from Congress 2002-05-01 18:37:32

First off, I'd like to say that Tom is doing the right thing by not taking the game off of newgrounds. It is a great game, despite it's risque content. Second off, I think that everyone does owe the the congresswoman who sent that email to Tom a little bit of respect. People like Comorat dropping F-Bombs like its their job are only showing those people who oppose Newgrounds and the content represented here that we are nothing but a bunch of delinquents making hateful movies, when that is not what we are at all. I think it's great that Tom recieved that email, and that he didn't trash talk the person who sent it or anyone else for that matter. Have some character guys.....show some respect for those who choose to speak their opinion, cause after all, thats all your doing too...

Response to Letter from Congress 2002-05-01 18:46:43

I agree with keeping Kaboom up, but you were sort of giving in by removing it from the frontpage. Seeing whats going on, i wouldnt be suprised if this pops up on Fox News.

Response to Letter from Congress 2002-05-01 18:50:06

At 5/1/02 04:59 PM, TomFulp wrote: As the KABOOM controversy continues to escalate, I have received this letter from Congresswoman Nita M. Lowey (New York).

---

Dear Mr. Fulp:

Sincerely,

Nita M. Lowey
Member of Congress
---

fuck you your dirty sult kaboom is just a game moron
so fuck off and leave newgrounds alone

Response to Letter from Congress 2002-05-01 18:53:45

---

Dear Mr. Fulp:

Sincerely,

Nita M. Lowey
Member of Congress
---

kaboom is just a game bitch I enjoy it a lot Tom said he will not remove it so fuck you

Response to Letter from Congress 2002-05-01 19:00:48

Um...
Fuck this shit?

Newgrounds is a democracy. If something offends you, vote it 0. If it offends enough people enough, it gets deleted.
Other than that, no outside interference.
Respect to Tom, because as soon as he starts doing stuff like deleting entries because people ask him to or because he thinks he might lose business, and not on merit, well you're on a slippery slope towards fascism, dictatorship and the collapse of the western world as we know it.

Anyway, some one famous once said some to the effect of
'if you're not offending someone, you're not doing something right'

Response to Letter from Congress 2002-05-01 19:01:42

---

Dear Mr. Fulp:

Sincerely,

Nita M. Lowey
Member of Congress
---

It's only a game you fucking bitch tom said he will not remove it from the site so fuck off

Response to Letter from Congress 2002-05-01 19:04:06

YA U GOT TOM MAN JUS BECUASE SOMEONE MAKES A GAME THATS MAYBEE OFFENCIVE TO THE TERRIOST WAR GOIN ON DOESENT MEAN THAT WE SHOULD TAK SOMETHING LIKE THAT OFF GOD MAN ITS JUS A CARTOON MAY HURT SOMEONE BUT THIS SITE IS FOR FREEDOM LIKE THIS GAME IS THE RIGHT TYPE OF SUBJECT FOR FREDOM MAN PEOPLE BITCH ABOUT THE GAME AND CONGRESS COME IN obvisoly she is not really in the congress or else shed ask u to remove persmintly god man some people thees days man its ur site allowed for freedom and people like congres and the raido show should budd out its our free will to make this anamtions and games people shoulde't take the art away dosent matter if its killing or not its our freedom and art speaking our mind this may be stupid even thou its viloence but iam sur every one gets the lol

Response to Letter from Congress 2002-05-01 19:09:24

man fulp u made a right coice on not takken KABOMB! off why dousent people jus budd out were not doing thing ya may affend someone but dun make a fuce on it like its ourits fabouls999's makin he made iam sure it waas hard man its funny people liked it the site here newgrounds is made fo anamtions and freewill its like leaving reality (or u can get high insted lol) and doin what u want to watch and the part involves anamtions and people do it for people to like it and admire the work (i realise i sound like a dumb ass) but people like nita should budd out fulp u made no one else did and its cool that ur keepin it the way it should! (god iam feel stupid lol)

Response to Letter from Congress 2002-05-01 19:18:26

I think Newgrounds response is the right one to take, and the movie should stay on the site. The game certainly doesn't glamorise suicide bombing, it rather comments on what is a despicable act, even if it does have a comic way of doing it. To take it off the site because some people get offended (mainly because they didn't take it with a pinch of salt) would surely betray the rights of freedom of expression?
The letter from congress basically says that the game cheapens the memory of those that died in September 11th, but surely as Americans (as well as from other fine countries around the world) they wouldn't want the terrorist attack to remove rights of other American citizens? To remove the game would do this, and cheapen the ideal to which the congress person is concerned in upholding.

Fact is, Newgrounds has always been a place of extremes, it's had anti-american stuff on it, racist bullshit animations and other stuff which I sometimes found offensive. Most of it got Blammed, i.e. democratically removed by users of the site. It's always had flash from people with very different views on stuff like Israel v.s. Palestine, and if that makes people think about the issues then it's doing everyone some good.

Above all, Newgrounds is damn entertaining, and its regular users can be trusted to decide what stays on or gets kicked off. If people get offended by things on the site they can excercise their right to give it a low grade and slag it off in a review. If they keep on getting offended, perhaps Newgrounds isn't the sort of site they should be visiting in the first place...

Response to Letter from Congress 2002-05-01 19:33:03

you should just check what people said about ur game i for one have not seen it but will a.s.p.if people think the game is offensive then get rid of it but if people think it is a good movie then keepit.

Response to Letter from Congress 2002-05-01 19:34:13

---

Dear Mr. Fulp:

Sincerely,

Nita M. Lowey
Member of Congress
---

just get rid of it

Response to Letter from Congress 2002-05-01 20:30:26

If you ask me, the easiest thing to do would be to actually MAKE a game where you can smish Palertinians in an Isreali tank! Or maybe a Yassir Asafat assassin game!

Something for balance, put up right next to "Kaboom," would probably take the wind out of your critics' collective sails. Besides it would be fun! I'd play it! DIE, PALESTINIANS, DIE! THIS IS FOR THE YOM KIPPUR WAR, YOU MISERABLE #%$#^%#$^#!!!!

Whee! Anyway, please make a counterbalance game where you can be the other side in this lovely little war.

Hey, the thing can only end in genocide one way or the other, we can't stop that. The Israelis will probably win, once they stop listening to all the people trying to restrain them. Then its goodbye, Palestine! Of course a war with the rest of the Mideast will probably follow, and who knows who will win that? My bet's on the Muslims unless we whoop Iraq again before this war happens, and thereby weaken their side. If only they would sell front-row seats and popcorn to foreigners! I got $100/Y10,000/80 pounds on the Isreali in the F16! Oops, they got him with a Stinger... O well, another hundred on the big Egyptian guy with the akimbo AK47s!!!

Response to Letter from Congress 2002-05-01 20:59:04

The people who sent hate mail regarding the game Kaboom are just people seeking attention. The game hurts no one and in fact just takes some of the sting out of (lightens the mood) suicide bombings. You should ignore the mail and go on making the games that myself and a majority of other people enjoying playing.
PRYO

Response to Letter from Congress 2002-05-01 21:16:45

---

Dear Mr. Fulp:

Sincerely,

Nita M. Lowey
Member of Congress
---

Tom, will you be adding the messages to the literate page?

Response to Letter from Congress 2002-05-01 21:34:39

Well I will be damned Newgrounds caught the attention of congress thats interesting now back 2 the subject at hizand.Instead of writing letters to Fulpmaster flash try bitching to the president and his *destruction of these evildoers* and get him to stop the peoples that are actually carrying out whats happening in the game I may be harsh but I speak it like I preach it