00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

FylypFimpossible just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Writer's Guild

206,180 Views | 4,991 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Writer's Guild 2004-10-24 11:16:31

I have a problem, and i am thinking that maybe others may have the same problem.
I am a writer, i love flash, i do practice flash, but my skills in flash are limited. However, i have great ideas and love brainstorming with others.
There very well might be other writer's out there who don't have enough time to teach themselves flash, but still want to be apart of fash making.

You may not be a writer, but a flash enthusiast who lacks complete concepts. Maybe you have an ideas, but you dod not know how to write it effectively. You do not know how to develop suspense or a plot that keeps the viewer intrigued. Or quite possible, you just do not know where to go with you idea, because you have no experience with writer short stories or scripts.

Well, i have an answer. The Writer's Guild. This is a place where writer's can post and discuss their ideas and a place where flash animimators can team up with writer's in creating well-writen flash movies or games. For a movie to look good, you need an animator. For a movie to feel good, you need a good writer. And very few have the ability to be both.

So start posting ideas. If you are worried about someone stealing your idea. Do not fret, if they do, contact me about the subject. I have ways of handling this problem.

I want people to discuss and post ideas and concepts freely as well as animators contacting writer's for collaberations.

I am a writer, for those of you who are wondering, and i am looking for a good animator to work with, who either is out of ideas or needs someone to brainstorm with and/or plot and write the storyline.

Myst_Sparknode@hotmail.com

Response to Writer's Guild 2004-10-24 11:22:01

If you do join the Writer's Guild. You do not have to be a writer.
Just put in your signature either:

Writer's Guild: Writer
Writer's Guild: Animator

or, if you just like reading the conepts and discussing them to help imporve them:

Writer's Guild: Public

Thanks again, i can see this club having alot of topics going at once in a few weeks or so. Join now to get it started.

Response to Writer's Guild 2004-10-24 11:26:34

I do creative writing sometimes. Can I join?

Response to Writer's Guild 2004-10-24 11:58:53

At 10/24/04 11:26 AM, -Diddy- wrote: I do creative writing sometimes. Can I join?

Of course. Anyone who is involved with flash or literacy in any way can join. So Everyone on NG anyways. lol

If you want to discuss or post any of your ideas here or even post inserts of some of your writing. You are more than welcome to.
The members, including myself, will be more than happy to critic your work, make suggestions and discuss your writing. You may even have a flash animator approach you who wants to turn your writing into a movie.

So welcome to the Writer's Guild.

Response to Writer's Guild 2004-10-24 12:25:33

I wanna join, I've been writing comedy-ish stories for years, I'm finishing one for an indy press comik called City of Zeroes.

Response to Writer's Guild 2004-10-24 12:58:26

I wanna join too.
I am a writer and ive been practicing flash. Brainstorming some ideas might do me some good.

Hey whats City of Zeroes about? Im Curious to hear.

Response to Writer's Guild 2004-10-24 13:00:09

It's been done. I know because I've done it... twice. So yeah, it's a good idea, but there's just not enough people to support it. But! I will join if you will have me.

Response to Writer's Guild 2004-10-24 13:09:28

Will, a good idea would be telling the flash users by making another thread, i think you might find this a good idea and might help you find more flash users that are scared from the word "writers", this meaning there flash users and were writes, oh and yes i am a writer, i am not gonna tell you my little storys that i have made up to be made into flashes but i will think up some if needed "my mind is a book that a flash user can read for ideas" so dont be scared to aks me ill give you a good one.

Response to Writer's Guild 2004-10-24 13:10:31

At 10/24/04 01:00 PM, Snerd wrote: It's been done. I know because I've done it... twice. So yeah, it's a good idea, but there's just not enough people to support it. But! I will join if you will have me.

Ya, well, i figure, if i post everyday with updates people will gradually see we are a busy club and gradually decide to join. I Hope. And of course your welcome. I did not realize this had been attempted before, but with enough effort i think we can gain some support.

Thanks for your input though.

To Tankith:
Thanks for your comments and support. I appreciate it. And i am glad you liked my choices, they are great underdogs that deserve top 50 spots for sure.

Response to Writer's Guild 2004-10-24 13:21:18

Yes. If you can get support the club will do fine. I think Writers Crew had 538 posts before I killed it (It was basically me posting and no one acknowledging). Thank you for letting me join. When we make films I can supply some actors if you'd like.

Response to Writer's Guild 2004-10-24 13:39:36

At 10/24/04 12:58 PM, Tankith wrote: Hey whats City of Zeroes about? Im Curious to hear.

It's a comic me an' my buddy Tom have been writing since about July, we've been doing comix for years, like our parody of the Osbournes, and we created a Canadian indy-press label, Fat Man Stan Press, so me could publish our better works, C.o.Z is a mockumentary making fun of drug addicts, minnimum wage store clerks and Michae Moore, I write it and Tom draws it, it's actually merely part one of for in a series of funny Michael Moore parodies.
part two[Finished writing]: Our physcial health/ gender confusion issue.
part three[done writing]: Harkening back to our roots as the writers of the short-lived Inuyasha parody The Interns, apperances from our old characters mak this one FUN!
part four: We're nowhere near don ethis one!

Response to Writer's Guild 2004-10-24 14:05:22

At 10/24/04 01:21 PM, Snerd wrote: Yes. If you can get support the club will do fine. I think Writers Crew had 538 posts before I killed it (It was basically me posting and no one acknowledging). Thank you for letting me join. When we make films I can supply some actors if you'd like.

Well so far, i feel we are off to a good start. Its only day one and we got quite a few posts. So i think we are doing okay. And since both of us are serious enough to create these type of clubs, the two of us can run this place fine. I am glad to have your support and enthusiasm.

Response to Writer's Guild 2004-10-24 14:07:56

At 10/24/04 01:09 PM, blazin_holy_knight wrote: Will, a good idea would be telling the flash users by making another thread, i think you might find this a good idea and might help you find more flash users that are scared from the word "writers", this meaning there flash users and were writes

I'd like to see first if we can get everyone togethor and discuss things as a group. If are spitting out really good ideas, flash users may come to us. If there were to be another thread, it would be to proud of a club. Flash animator clubs are almost every club. Unless i misunderstood what you meant?

Response to Writer's Guild 2004-10-24 15:17:50

At 10/24/04 02:07 PM, Myst_Williams wrote:
I'd like to see first if we can get everyone togethor and discuss things as a group. If are spitting out really good ideas, flash users may come to us. If there were to be another thread, it would be to proud of a club. Flash animator clubs are almost every club. Unless i misunderstood what you meant?

Yes you did and didnt, i was going to point out that if you want animators you should first bring them in to see how they can adapt to our ideas and you insighted me in saying that we will have to wait for everyone to get together to talk further about it so it was my mistake.

Response to Writer's Guild 2004-10-24 16:49:51

I know what he's trying to do. I, too, had to explain this. He wants to make films, showcasing not only his writing talent but the writing talent of others. Making films is just the only way to meet a large audience and get your name out there. This is why clubs such as these are dependent on animators. Animators also get recognition because the audience will say something like, "Oh, -Joe-? Yeah. He did 'Hang 'em High'. He's great." Good films take more than a great writer. Without a great animator, the movie'll just suck. Answer your questions? I hope so. Oh and if that's not what this place is about that's what Writers Crew and the recently failed Writer's Den were about. They only failed because I neglected them. If you can team up with me and another guy we could take care of this place in shifts. That should make it last longer.

Response to Writer's Guild 2004-10-24 18:13:52

Im pretty good at writing stories and scripts and the like. You mind if I join and help out?

Response to Writer's Guild 2004-10-24 18:16:08

At 10/24/04 04:49 PM, Snerd wrote: I know what he's trying to do. I, too, had to explain this. He wants to make films, showcasing not only his writing talent but the writing talent of others. Making films is just the only way to meet a large audience and get your name out there. This is why clubs such as these are dependent on animators. Animators also get recognition because the audience will say something like, "Oh, -Joe-? Yeah. He did 'Hang 'em High'. He's great." Good films take more than a great writer. Without a great animator, the movie'll just suck. Answer your questions? I hope so. Oh and if that's not what this place is about that's what Writers Crew and the recently failed Writer's Den were about. They only failed because I neglected them. If you can team up with me and another guy we could take care of this place in shifts. That should make it last longer.

I fully agree with you. And you have some great ideas.
I do want to point out, that although i am a writer first, i also am an animator. I just have been practicing and havnt created anything that i thought, graphically, was good enough for 3.5 or higher for the Portal.
Yes, you need a good animator, but i do stress writing is important. You have to intrigue the viewer and grasp his interest in the first few minutes while mantaining an interesting plot until you reach an ehilerating and satisfying ending.
It takes two some might say.lol. I just hope that this thread will help both writer's and animators create even better flash's with a collaberation of skills.

Either way, i will continue to post almost daily to keep this thread as high up on the first page as i can. The more people see it, the more respect it will receive and the more members we will gain.

I like your shift idea and obviously you have more experience running a thread than i do. So i would like it if you elaberated on the topic a little more and be more specific.

If we can gain three Guild Leaders to mantain the place on a regular bases then ithink we will do fine, and with time, succeed in our common goals.

Response to Writer's Guild 2004-10-24 18:21:10

At 10/24/04 06:13 PM, Frozen_Fox wrote: Im pretty good at writing stories and scripts and the like. You mind if I join and help out?

Please do join, the more support the better.

I have officially elected Snerd as my co-creator, because of his experience as well as the work he put forth for thr writing community on NG.

**FOR ALL TO READ**
We are looking for candidates for a third position as co-creator of the group in which we will make decisions togethor and mantain the thread togethor so that Snerd and myself do not have to be on all the time. I do work and school etc, so its hard.

If you are interested in this position, please post any ideas you have for the thread as well as why you want to be part of our 'Writer's Guild Council'.

Anyone interested will be considered.

Recruiting is important guys, we want writers and animators to join to start creating better flash with better stories.
Any style of writing or animating is welcome.

Response to Writer's Guild 2004-10-24 18:24:03

At 10/24/04 06:21 PM, Myst_Williams wrote:

cool. Do we have to wait for an animator to come along and request a storyline/script or dowe just post one when weve finished writing one?

Response to Writer's Guild 2004-10-24 18:39:09

At 10/24/04 06:24 PM, Frozen_Fox wrote:
At 10/24/04 06:21 PM, Myst_Williams wrote:
cool. Do we have to wait for an animator to come along and request a storyline/script or dowe just post one when weve finished writing one?

Either or. It does not matter. If an animator requests your services and says they have an idea, then please go and work o nthat script or story that what we are all about.

However, if no animators are currently looking we can post our own ideas and discuss them togethor. Critic each other and give positive critisizm. And maybe an animator wil lsee you idea and want to discuss it further with you.

Later in the week i will posting some of my ideas. I just have not the time to gather all my thoughts and notes today.

If your looking for a discussion or critic on your writing, please feel free to post it.

P.S. I would like to not that any writing/concepts/ideas are welcome. That includes Poetry, script, short story, novelry etc.

Also, if we by chance we come up with an idea togethor as group and no one person can claim it as their own, i will make a request to any animator who wants to use it that the Writer's Guild gets posted in their credits and commentary as a BBS club so that more animators can see this and visit our thread to see everyones personal ideas and comments.

I am also currently working on my own flash that is coming along quite nicely, i will be giving credit to the Guild to help advertise our club so that others can visit and see our work. I hope you would all do the same. The more publicity and support the better for all of us.

I must say i am quite happy with the amount of posts and replys for only a couple days.

Response to Writer's Guild 2004-10-24 18:44:47

At 10/24/04 06:39 PM, Myst_Williams wrote:
Either or. It does not matter. If an animator requests your services and says they have an idea, then please go and work o nthat script or story that what we are all about.

very nice. Ill dig through the crap on my pc and see if I can dig up some stuff that I wrote a while back.

Response to Writer's Guild 2004-10-24 18:57:26

At 10/24/04 06:44 PM, Frozen_Fox wrote:
At 10/24/04 06:39 PM, Myst_Williams wrote:
very nice. Ill dig through the crap on my pc and see if I can dig up some stuff that I wrote a while back.

Hey and thanks for putting that link i nyour sig. Your support means alot. Later this week we can look at each other writing. I am very curious to see some of your work.

Do you like poetry at all.. or just shorts?

Response to Writer's Guild 2004-10-24 19:07:02

At 10/24/04 06:57 PM, Myst_Williams wrote:

Hey and thanks for putting that link i nyour sig. Your support means alot. Later this week we can look at each other writing. I am very curious to see some of your work.

Im curious to see yourts aswell and to know what you think of mine.

Do you like poetry at all.. or just shorts?

I enjoy poetry but I pretty much suck at writing it lol. Its the one thing I cant get my head round. I guess I just dont have anything that I want to get across in a poem. Stories on the other hand are my speciality though. One of my old english teachers actually took a story of mine to read in bed because she thought it was that good....not that im being big headed or anything......well not much.

Im going to be longer posting my stuuf than I thought though. I just remembered that my pc got formatted about a month ago so all my stuff is gone :-( Ill get some stuff written tonight and tomorrow though.

Response to Writer's Guild 2004-10-24 19:20:57

At 10/24/04 07:07 PM, Frozen_Fox wrote: Im curious to see yourts aswell and to know what you think of mine.

All my short stories are all confused and joted down etc, but i do have these two poems that you can read.
The first is entitled Life-Like which portrays life in a series if metaphorical ways it is a Descriptive Poem.
The second is called Portrait and is a Sonetto (aka Partrachien Sonnet) If you are unsure wha tthat it is. It is similar to shakespearean poetry but is more strict and harder to write. There are man ything it mus have, but the main things are 10 beats per line and the obvious rhyme scheme.

Tell me what you think and critic them. If you enjoyed them and wanna see more, i would be more then happy to share them with you.

LIFE-LIKE
In the midst of change to spring
The petals unfold and tear;
Nature begins to sing
Bodies calm and still
First breath begins to fill
The sun pokes fun at the horizon
First light, burns first vision

When the waters flow
Darkness shows and moonlight grows
With every swallow
Courage fades and light decays
Drowning, purpose is made
Dismayed, you have your fears
But do your fears have you?

Life is like the runes, historic and old,
But frail with the ground always cold

Flowing images within a stream
A ripple, a rock; not all is at it seems
Time stills, a thrill, a nightmarish fiend
Your nose begins to bleed
Your heart begins to seize
Your life begins to need, satisfactory

The clouds above mold and shape
Imagination roars in late
The height, the light, and the beautiful sights
Dreams do conquer, but wishes only fight
Replenish your soul; replenish your mind
All in all, you’ll be pleased with what you find

Life is like the heart, working hard and fast,
But in the end, the benefits last

Fresh eyes in new blue skies
Look deep in embrace
As the mutual wind leaves a sigh
First kiss has a knowing taste
Clouds above pure and white
Daylight, you love the one
And the one loves you

Past the dawn and back to dusk
The sun wilts, and the sky begins to adjust
Waters cool to an evening chill
Day feels flush, time back to nil
The arms of trees rest alongside
The end, subtle, life before one’s eyes
Flowers turn-in until another season’s tide

Life in a line is hard to explain,
Even for a poets tongue
Right or wrong, happy or upset,
Life is God’s poem for love

Name one thing in life that does not involve love… Love is Life-Like, Love Life.

PORTRAIT
Look upon her beautiful face
Her dawn bright smile; contagious and warming
Her grasping presence and aura calming
Her deep lake eyes and capturing embrace
Her gorgeous curves, body, and flowing grace
Her song-like voice so gentle and soothing
Her light touch soft, but heavy and moving
Any one moment, still; enjoy her taste
An impression: kind, capturing and bold
Tightening chest, feeling of unrest, I-too
A focus: hazy, motionless, but told
A rising heat, a diving leap, I-flew
The meaning: heartfelt, loving, and controlled
An open mouth, but yet a sound, I-you

Painting Love… everyday.

Response to Writer's Guild 2004-10-24 19:29:30

At 10/24/04 01:39 PM, CoachDante wrote:
At 10/24/04 12:58 PM, Tankith wrote: Hey whats City of Zeroes about? Im Curious to hear.
It's a comic me an' my buddy Tom have been writing since about July, we've been doing comix for years, like our parody of the Osbournes, and we created a Canadian indy-press label...

Wow, you got some intriguing ideas. Have you made any flash movies yet? Or do you have an insert of your writing?

Response to Writer's Guild 2004-10-24 19:35:38

All I can say is that you are by far a better poet than me. I shall attempt to write a poem and post it to show you how inept I amat them.

Id really like to read some more of your work. If you mange to work out your notes and wrtie it out properly I can give you feedback on that but poetry really isnt my strong point.

Response to Writer's Guild 2004-10-24 19:41:25

At 10/24/04 07:35 PM, Frozen_Fox wrote: Id really like to read some more of your work. If you mange to work out your notes and wrtie it out properly I can give you feedback on that but poetry really isnt my strong point.

Fair enough, i will scavange up an insert. It will either be from my current novel.. or a short story. Either way, i will get it all togethor sometime this week.

I am out for tonight, thanks for your support. I cannot wait to read your stuff. The Writer's Guild had made some real progress in only 2 days.

Response to Writer's Guild 2004-10-24 19:44:29

At 10/24/04 07:41 PM, Myst_Williams wrote:
I am out for tonight, thanks for your support. I cannot wait to read your stuff. The Writer's Guild had made some real progress in only 2 days.

I'll try and get something posted either tonight or tommorow. and I hope the guild continues to make progress.

Response to Writer's Guild 2004-10-24 20:23:36

thankfully ive actually managed to find something Ive written which wasnt deleted somehow :S

Anyway this is kind of weird. I was going through a a stage of readin loads of terry pratchett books so i had a go at imitatiing his kind of comedic style of writing.

This is just a part of the first chapter I never got round to finishing it.
This probably isnt the greatest thing Ive ever written so be gentle :P

A story of Valour Courage and Downright Stupidity

The City of Nevershade was what scientists would call a scientific improbability because of the fact that it was in a country that most people in the real world do not want to exist, it lies on a continent on a planet which doesn’t exist and is part of a bifocal-verse which as even the stupidest of ferrets knows does not exist…at least not officially!
For you see when God or whatever powerful being created the universe he had to balance everything. To do this he created the bifocal-verse. The Universe was much bigger than the other one so the ultimate being had to create a smaller verses (which he sat on) to balance everything out. But when s/he/it created the verses he also made of huge mistake! He made one verse with a mixture of the weird and normal (the universe) and one that got so much weird stuff shoved on it that even Uri Gellar and David Blaine would feel out of place!
Our story begins in the Bifocal-verse. On a planet called faramor, in a country called Skarlat in the city of Never-shade.
Never-shade was what most people would call disreputable! It attracted the lowliest types of scum the planet had! Thieves, assassins, whores , murderers and the occasional Morris dancing team who got lost. This of course meant that Never shade was one of the most successful Trade ports in the world! Many people from all over the world came to Never-shade to see the sites of the city trade with the merchants and get waylaid in an alley by muggers have all your possessions stolen and then have your picture taken with them so you can remember them when you come back next year
As Never-shade was so successful it of course had its own ruler despite the fact that it was in a country that had its own king also. But Never-shade didn’t have a king they had a man who was so ruthless and cunning that only the smartest of foxes could beat him at the game which he had studied all his life!
“ Right foot blue” said the chancellor as the spinner stopped on the appropriate place.
The men who played the game twisted round each other to get into the correct position as the chancellor once more span.
“Left hand green” said the chancellor.
A crash was heard as all but one man on the board collapsed in a heap on the floor.
“Ahhhhhhh! Excellent I win again.” said the hiss like voice of the Kazir.
“Indeed sir” Said the chancellor” Now may I draw your attention to the fact that there is an enemy army outside our city with catapults and ballistae and they are laying siege to the city?”
The Kazir looked up at the chancellor and sneered.
“I’m quite aware of the fact that the city is being bombarded with huge crossbow bolts and giant stones Dickturd.”
The chancellor winced! How he hated his name! He felt that his mother and father were so upset that he had been a boy when he was born that they named him dickturd out of spite…either that or they were both roaring drunk when they went down to the temple of the god of nothing and had him named.
“Come now Dickturd! We must make haste! Summon the guard and post any spare men onto the defence of the walls!”
The Chancellor hesitated…. “errrrr..sir you have already done that the guards are on the walls taking pot shots at the enemy.”
“They are? SPLENDID!!!! Then we can have another rousing game of spin-the-disc-and-put-appropriate-limb-on-the-right-colour!”
Dickturd sighed.
“why did I accept this job? I could have been an officer in the army but NOOOOO I had to go into politics!”
The chancellor sighed again and span the disc once more and the kazir got ready to once more become victorious.
Now would be a good time to point out that on faramor there are a variety of Gods ,they know that the great divine being that created all sits on their bifocal-verse but they do not worship him as they do not know his name or what he is called, the most prominent of which are Ikfar the cruel, god of war, Balambasta the God of Harvest and healing and The God of Nothing who is revered more than any of the other gods on Faramor! This is because most of the people on faramor are atheists and thought hey do not believe in gods they do in fact still worship one due to the fact that if they didn’t the Gods only knew what would happen!
In each of the churches of all the Gods there is a heirachy the top man being the archbishop whose only real job is to lead the holy song of their god at festivals, which in the case of The God of Nothing is Oh Fluffy Sheep are wonderful, below the archbishops are the bishops who are the real rulers of the church. Below them are the priests and then the acolytes and then finally the lowest of the positions in the church, choir boy.
Podson was a Choir boy! He was 5 foot 6 with flaming red hair which in the church of the God of Nothing meant he would never amount to anything in life as Red was the only colour that sheep did not come in! because of his hair colour Podson had endured many hardships in the church being given the dirtiest jobs possible!
One of these jobs was cleaning out the sewers underneath the temple which was podsons least favourite job. And as it is written in SODS law “if you don’t like a job ,you’re bloody damn well going to have to do it!”
As he stood knee deep in the remains of Brother Pooles Bangers and Mash he sighed and thought of what he might have been able to become if he had joined in the army on the front line instead of the church to help heal people. Then he suddenly realised that what most likely would have happened was that he would now be buried six foot under the ground*.( *the reason for this being that he would not have died ,but the Kazir believed the best way to prevent sappers from mining under the city was to bury soldiers underground and give them am ear trumpet so if they hear anything they can dig their way out and warn the guard)

Response to Writer's Guild 2004-10-25 07:46:22

At 10/24/04 08:23 PM, Frozen_Fox wrote: Anyway this is kind of weird. I was going through a a stage of readin loads of terry pratchett books so i had a go at imitatiing his kind of comedic style of writing.

Despite the obvious editing problems, it is very interesting.
It is a little confusing at times, i can tell it was one of your earlier works simply because you lacked description and explaination at times. There were quite a few grammatical errors, however, no real serious comma spilces (which is good... i have a hard time with that).
I like how you told the story from nothing and a gave a sense of the place before getting into the choirboy character. You should really consider re-writing it (edited) and continue it further. It is a solid idea, because, to me, it seems very unique and original. Plus, the subtle humour is entertaining and keeps me interested and reading.
Overall, it is quite goodconcept/idea wise. However, it being an older peice, the punctuation, editing, and actual writing technique could be improved.
I enjoyed it though. I will post one of my chapters later this weeks, but for now i am curious about where you were planning on taking this story? Can you explain to me the broader view of what the story was/is going to be about?
Talk to ya later tonight, prolly.